Skip to main content

Puppets: Raw Inks

Miette and Ratso two-page spread.
Cement crosses the Mittman Street Bridge.

Inks are fun. I'm trying to get more of the central pieces of art, which have a lot of expressive action in them, inked after the first coloring phase which is a twist in my process which usually goes from pencil to ink to color. This time the process is pencil to color and back to inks. There's another color pass comin' as well.

Ratso!
Ratso is kinda psyched about stuff. Rat stuff.

Currently, I'm inking digitally over 120+ pencils. I'm finding a few tight little compositions like these, including the silhouetted hero shot for the graphic novel and animation. Yep, I did say 120+ panels. That's about 17 pages.

ART FYI: Adobe Illustrator accepts Photoshop PSD Layers when the PSD is imported with the "individual objects" setting checked in AI. PSD Layers for color/detail/lighting can be sent from PS into AI while keeping a sharp vector line.

My vectors/inks AND the PSD are saved in two docs: INKS.ai (illustrator) and LAYOUT.psd (the photoshop layers). The PSD started out as 9 panels then was split into 1-2 pages, saved as a "clean" PSD and Placed in a new IA file called "INKS".

Puppets by Gargantuan MediaRoaches by Gargantuan Media
Copy code to add Puppets to your site:Copy code to add Roaches to your site:

Popular posts from this blog

Monster City

This giant monster art is based on my favorite comics and cartoons: Paul Chadwick's Concrete, Sam Kieth's The Maxx and Big O. I've wanted to see all three of them combined for awhile now. The first few chapters are written but not illustrated yet. It's a personal project that will come after the next bug book called Kingdoms .

War Cry

WAR Cry is a full-color web comic being built at Smack Jeeves.com . Another web comic I have going is called War Cry. For you guys that really are into Japanese animated shows like Berserk and Fist Of The North Star you will immediately see similarities in this story. I figure: if I am going to be influenced (i.e. "steal") then I am going to be influenced by the best. This material is Horror and rated PG-13 for adult themes and gore. WAR Cry is a full-color web comic being built at Smack Jeeves.com . The War Cry web comic started as my October 2011 24 Hour Comic Challenge pencils and just sort of exploded into a full story set on another planet w/in about 2 hours. The original drawings are over also at WAR Cry on Smack Jeeves . I'm making and uploading newer versions with these Star Trek setting/colors. As the print editions of Roaches and Puppets are getting printed in black-and-white books it's great to use color in a story. Both my current book and m...

Character Sheets

Miette is the main character Puppets and always in some kind of bad trouble. These raw colors are a few steps removed from finalized panels but hey, buddies, they contain the art basics. Above, Miette is getting swarmed by giant sewer rats, the rabid followers of Ratso The Rat Man. This charming fella is Ratso the main baddie from Puppets. Adding hordes of small rats and having them move in a massive wave is admittedly pretty fun. Ratso rides along like Ice Man as the rat wave moves beneath his feet like a mobile escalator. I'm having a lot of fun with Ratso and his pals. Copy code to add Puppets to your site: Copy code to add Roaches to your site: